Home  >>  News >> Top news >> Out of Rwanda >> 

3 Killed in Separate Attacks in Southern Burundi

Unidentified gunmen Tuesday night killed three people in separate incidents in southern Burundi - two in Bururi province and another one in Makamba province, local administration authorities said Wednesday.


"A former village chief was shot dead by unidentified gunmen at Nyagasasa as he was going home around 19:00 (17:00 GMT) from his shop where drinks are also sold. He received three bullets in his head near his house and the killers ran away," said Anicet Niyonzima, administrator of Mugamba commune in Bururi province.

Niyonzima indicated that the victim’s shop was recently attacked by unidentified persons who damaged items that were in the shop.

He said that investigations are underway to identify the gunmen.

Meanwhile, a 50 year-old watchman was discovered Wednesday morning killed after being stabbed at Matana Secondary School in Matana commune in Bururi province.

Another violence incident happened on Tuesday night at Mbizi in Kibago commune in Makamba province where a local administration official was killed at his home by unidentified gunmen at about 22:00 (20:00 GMT).

"Unidentified people shot the victim as he was going out of his house at night. They shot him two bullets in the back and then six bullets in the head and he died on the spot," said Makamba Governor Gad Niyukuri.

He indicated that three persons have been arrested in connection with the murder.

In September last year, the head of Mbizi zone was also killed by unidentified armed persons.

Some southern parts of Burundi and the capital Bujumbura have been facing insecurity since April 2015 when President Pierre Nkurunziza announced the controversial decision to run for a third term which he eventually won in a presidential election boycotted by main opposition candidates in July.

By Robert Muriisa.

Follow Us on Facebook and Twitter

Leave your comment

Your Name

Your Email

Your comment

Close X