Home  >>  News >> Sport >> Out of Rwanda >> 

Pictures of shame: How England fans came under attack from Russians at Euro 2016

Chaos surrounded England’s first Euro 2016 finals match with fans attacked by Russian thugs inside the stadium after a third day of violence in Marseille left several British supporters in hospital.

England fans were seen fleeing from the Stade Velodrome shortly after the final whistle was blown on the 1-1 draw as Balaclava-clad thugs punched through a line of stewards before attacking bystanders.

At least two Britons are understood to have been left seriously ill after a day of disorder in the Mediterranean port city left as many as 20 England fans injured.

The scenes from Marseille were described by the FA as ‘terrible’ as it called on the local authorities to deal with the perpetrators swiftly.

There were also reports of attacks on Northern Ireland football fans by local ‘ultras’ in Nice, where the side will play Poland later.

It is understood that Uefa will open disciplinary proceedings over the stadium violence, with Russia potentially facing strong sanctions.

The incident raises serious questions about French security at a time when the country is on high alert after November’s terrorist attacks on Paris.

Spectators reported seeing stewards in the ground at the end of the game, but no police officers.

Just before the end of the game white flares were lit in the Russian end, followed by a green rocket which went over England goalkeeper Joe Hart’s goal. This was followed by a bang and then a red firework.

England had earlier seen Eric Dier’s sublime free-kick cancelled out by Vasili Berezutsky as Russia ended the game with a lucky point.

In south-west France earlier on Saturday there were peaceful and joyous scenes as Wales marked their first European Championship appearance with a 2-1 win over Slovakia in Bordeaux.

But 315 miles to the south-east, it was a different story.
French police had used water cannon and tear gas on rioters hours before the game started.

Fist fights and bottle throwing broke out between the England supporters and their Russian and French counterparts in Marseille’s Old Port on Saturday afternoon.


Follow Us on Facebook and Twitter

Leave your comment

Your Name

Your Email

Your comment

Close X