Home  >>  News >> All around >> Out of Rwanda >> 

Burundi rejects UN inquiry into rights abuses

The government of Burundi said Saturday it will not cooperate with a UN commission of inquiry formed to investigate human rights abuses in the East African country.

A United Nations report earlier this week found that government and allied groups had been responsible for the unlawful killings of more than 560 people since April 2015 and warned of an impending genocide.

In response, the UN Human Rights Council on Friday approved the formation of a commission that would investigate the reported abuses, including torture and arbitrary arrests.

But presidential adviser Willy Nyamitwe said Saturday that the members of the commission would not be allowed into the country because it would go against Burundi’s "national sovereignty."

Burundi has been in turmoil since President Pierre Nkurunziza announced last year that he would seek a third term in office despite a constitutional two-term limit.

His election victory in July 2015 unleashed a wave of political violence in which hundreds have been killed.

Human rights activists say the Hutu-dominated government is increasingly targeting Tutsis in an attempt to foment ethnic hatred and divert attention from the political conflict.

Jimirasire

Follow Us on Facebook and Twitter

Leave your comment

Your Name

Your Email

Your comment

Close X